Sound Particles Forums
Handling stereo files - Printable Version

+- Sound Particles Forums (https://forums.soundparticles.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forums.soundparticles.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: I Need Help (https://forums.soundparticles.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Handling stereo files (/showthread.php?tid=190)

Handling stereo files - 1001001 - 08-25-2017

Wondering what the intended ways of handling stereo files might be?

The list only allows the left channel to be selected from a stereo file, so I have been splitting them into two mono. Why does the list show the channel if it cannot be changed, or is there a way to choose which leaf of the interleaved file will be used? (e.g. drop a stereo file in and use the right channel for the particle generator?)

Given all phantom image information is going to be lost because of the way particles work, are there any recommendations for:

1. Put left and right files into separate particle generators?
2. Put left and right files into the same particle generator?

Thanks, a wonderful program that I am just starting to explore.

RE: Handling stereo files - Nuno Fonseca - 09-03-2017

Sorry for the delay...

Actually, when you import the audio file, on the open dialog, there is an options button, that will show some additional settings for that file, including what Sound Particles should do if the input audio file is in stereo:
- Import the left channel only (default)
- Import the right channel only
- Convert to mono
- Import both channels (some particles will reproduce one of them, and some particles will reproduce the other).

Does this solve your problem, or would you prefer us to have some other approach?

RE: Handling stereo files - Nuno Fonseca - 09-03-2017

And regarding image position, it depends a lot on what do you want to do. Since you are spreading different sounds (eventually with audio modifiers), you will get wonderful 3D sound either you use only left. But if you use both of them (left and right) on the same particle group, even better, since left and right are usually different, which will make a richer sound.

The only situation when you should consider different particle groups for each channel, is if there is something on each channel that you want to preserve, besides the space component. For instance, imagine that left have a particular sound that you want to keep on the left side, and right have a sound that you want to keep on the right.

RE: Handling stereo files - 1001001 - 09-04-2017

(09-03-2017, 05:58 PM)Nuno Fonseca Wrote: Sorry for the delay...

Actually, when you import the audio file, on the open dialog, there is an options button, that will show some additional settings for that file, including what Sound Particles should do if the input audio file is in stereo:
- Import the left channel only (default)
- Import the right channel only
- Convert to mono
- Import both channels (some particles will reproduce one of them, and some particles will reproduce the other).

Does this solve your problem, or would you prefer us to have some other approach?

Thanks Nuno - I found the options dialogue - thank you.

I think a way to change the channel used from the Audio Files sub-editor of the Particle Group editor window (does that make sense?) would be helpful. i.e. where you find the columns #, Filename, Ch, SR- the ability to click on the channel for the selected audio file and select which channel to use after import maybe? I can see that this might cause an issue in the way things are currently workflow-coded though because at the moment the way file-import works is to import a left and a right copy and to treat them as two particle sources. (hope that's the right terminology). Just a thought, not set in stone.

Also - re Image position, yes thank you. I have been trying different groups for left and right, mostly working with spectral sub-bands at the moment. Fun.

RE: Handling stereo files - Nuno Fonseca - 09-04-2017

Yes, having that choice on the mains inspector would bring some benefits to the user... Let me think if there is a way to achieve that, but without making it too complex in terns of GUI.

Keep sending suggestions like these...

RE: Handling stereo files - 1001001 - 09-05-2017

(09-04-2017, 01:39 PM)Nuno Fonseca Wrote: Yes, having that choice on the mains inspector would bring some benefits to the user... Let me think if there is a way to achieve that, but without making it too complex in terns of GUI.

Keep sending suggestions like these...
I am wondering whether the full file path needs to be located at that exact point in the GUI, or whether an info icon [Image: information.png] could open a window with info that is non-editable, and leave those columns for editable aspects. Or whether a new window below the files just like when you select an action and get the editable parameters. Again, just thoughts.   Angel